Sunday, May 30, 2010

Blarney Castle & Lisselan Estate Gardens

Saturday, May 30th, 2010-05-30

Today we travelled from Cork to Killarney with stops at Blarney Castle & the Lisselan Estate Gardens. Today according to our tour guide is a “Soft day” which means a rainy day. We arrived early at the Castle as it is a popular spot for tour groups. Blarney castle is where you kiss the blarney stone and you get the gift of eloquence. Some one  had quite a sense of humour and put the stone at the very top of the castle. To get to the top of the castle you have to climb up 102 steep narrow stairs. The castle is completely open. When you first start it does not seem too bad and then it gets narrowerand then  you reach the point of no return. The stairway is so narrow that if a person wanted to go back they could not. There is another set of stairs to take you down. When you started to think how much farther you reach the light. There is one more set of stairs. At this point you realize that you are just on a narrow ledge with the outside castle wall on one side a railing on the other side and straight to the bottom on both sides. I am afraid of heights so I did  not know where to look. I decided to go closer to the wall and wait for Kevin. At this point I am still thinking I would kiss the Blarney stone. I secured my pockets, took off my glasses and put my camera in my purse and gave it to Kevin. I just could not lay on my back, have someone hold my feet and then hold two bars and put your head out an opening to kiss a rock to get the gift of the charming gab. Kevin kissed the stone. See the photos. I did not take many photos from the top but I got one that shows the middle of the castle. Coming down was another challenge. The first few steps down there is no rail so I had to talk myself in to taking that first step. I stood there for a while.I was not alone in taking the first step. Once at the bottom my legs where like rubber. Once on the ground we toured the Rock close a eirry and magical place.

Blarney Castle





Lisselan Estate Gardens

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh ... this day sounds like an episode of "Fear Factor." Glad you made it to the top and back down to the bottom, all in one piece!

    Also, if Kevin missed the stone, does this mean that Kevin now does or does not have the powers of persuasion/blarney? Are there "do-overs?"

    I'm loving the blog, both the comments and the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin did kiss the stone. It is a production line gettting the people through the line. It was so quick I missed the middele photo when he kissed the stone. They now spray the stone down between kissers.

    ReplyDelete